Ratcheting belts have become a popular alternative to traditional leather belts that use belt holes. Brands like SlideBelts and Mission Belts offer ratcheting belts made of durable materials like nylon webbing and leather.
But with different styles and features available, how do you choose between them?
In this in-depth guide, we’ll compare SlideBelts and Mission Belts to help you decide which ratcheting belt is the best choice for you.
A Brief Comparison Table
|Nylon webbing, leather
|Elongated, industrial look
|Rounded square, refined patterns
|Adjustable nylon strap
|Ratcheting belt end
|Trim strap to fit, re-trim if needed
|Trim belt to fit, can re-trim
|$39 – $99
|$34.95 – $124.95
|Emphasis on durability and versatility
|Focus on style and craftsmanship
Overview of SlideBelts and Mission Belts
SlideBelts was founded in 2012 by entrepreneur Michael Bucko in California. The brand’s ratcheting belts are made from rugged nylon webbing with a steel or aluminum buckle.
Key features of SlideBelts include:
- Ratcheting belt buckle provides a custom fit without holes
- Available in nylon, leather, or canvas webbing
- Buckles come in various finishes like black, silver, gunmetal, and more
- Webbing is available in multiple colors
- Belts can be trimmed to size
Mission Belts was started in 2010 by entrepreneur Nate Holzapfel in Utah.
Their belts use a ratcheting polyurethane or leather belt combined with a metal buckle.
Here are some main features of Mission Belts:
- Ratcheting mechanism for custom fit
- Belts available in leather or polyurethane
- Buckles come in a range of finishes and designs
- Offer belts in various colors and patterns
- Belt length can be trimmed
Key Differences Between SlideBelts And Mission Belts
Both SlideBelts and Mission Belts provide a no-holes design using a ratcheting mechanism to create a custom fit. They offer similar features like a range of materials, buckle designs, and color choices. However, there are some differences between the two brands which we’ll explore next.
- Belt Materials
One of the main differences between SlideBelts and Mission Belts is the materials used to make their belts.
SlideBelts uses two primary materials for its belt webbing:
Nylon – SlideBelts nylon webbing is made of rugged, durable nylon that is designed to be long-lasting.
The nylon has a smooth finish on the outside and a softer suede-like texture inside next to your body.
Nylon webbing is also lightweight.
Leather – SlideBelts makes some of its belts using full grain Italian leather.
The leather offers a stylish, high-end look and feel. It develops a patina over time for more character.
Mission Belts Materials
Mission Belts offers two main types of belt materials:
Polyurethane – Most Mission Belt styles use polyurethane for the belt webbing. Polyurethane is water-resistant and flexible. It is thicker than nylon webbing.
Leather – Some Mission Belt models are made from premium leather. This gives the belt a classic leather style. The leather also softens over time.
Both brands provide durable synthetic webbing and leather options. SlideBelts seems to use more nylon webbing while Mission Belts favors polyurethane. But you can find leather belts from both companies if you want a traditional leather style.
- Belt Buckle Designs
The buckle design is another major difference between SlideBelts and Mission Belts. They each take a unique approach with their buckles.
SlideBelts buckles have an elongated silhouette. They are made from aluminum or stainless steel.
Some features of SlideBelts buckles include:
- Elongated buckle shape
- Available in aluminum or stainless steel
- Variety of color and finish options
- Buckles range from 1.5″ to 1.75″ in width
- Have either a framed or skeleton cut-out design
The elongated shape and metal materials give SlideBelts buckles an industrial, rugged look. The cut-out design is also a defining visual feature.
Mission Belts Buckles
Mission Belt buckles have a more rounded square shape. They are made from zinc alloy or stainless steel.
Buckles from Mission Belts have these characteristics:
- Square shaped buckle silhouette
- Crafted from zinc alloy or stainless steel
- Offered in different colors and finishes
- Range from 1.5″ to 1.75″ in width
- Buckle styling includes unique patterns and textures
The Mission Belt buckles have a more refined, stylized look. The shape and finish options add decorative flair.
For both brands, the metal buckle materials ensure durability. But they achieve different styles through the silhouette and decorative details. SlideBelts aims for an industrial look while Mission Belts has more embellished designs.
- Sizing and Fit
SlideBelts and Mission Belts provide a customized fit without using belt holes. Let’s see how their sizing and adjustable fastening works.
SlideBelts uses an adjustable nylon strap connected to the metal buckle. You trim the end of the strap to your ideal size.
To fasten the belt:
- Push the end of the strap into the buckle
- Slide the mechanism inward or outward to tighten and loosen
- The strap remains securely in place for a customized fit
This adjustable no-holes design ensures you get an ideal fit. And you can re-trim the strap if you lose or gain weight.
Mission Belts Sizing
Mission Belts also have an adjustable closure system. The end of the belt feeds through the buckle.
To put on and take off a Mission Belt:
- Push the belt end into the buckle
- Ratchet the buckle inward or outward to tighten or loosen
- The belt stays in place once tightened
Like SlideBelts, this adjustable system provides a personalized fit.
The belts can be trimmed if you need a different size.
Both brands allow you to get a dialed-in fit for comfort.
And the belts can have the tip cut to accommodate waist size changes over time.
Also Read: Comparison of Mission Belt And Anson Belt.
- Price Comparison
When it comes to price, here is how SlideBelts and Mission Belts compare:
SlideBelts cost between $39 and $99 depending on the materials and buckle style.
Their belt offerings are divided into these price ranges:
- Essentials belts ($39-$59)
- Standard belts ($59-$79)
- Premier belts ($79-$99)
The nylon Essentials belts are the most budget-friendly. Leather and special edition belts fall into the pricier Premier range.
Mission Belts Pricing
Mission Belts range from $34.95 up to $124.95 based on materials and design.
Here is how their belts are priced:
- Polyurethane belts ($34.95-$49.95)
- Leather belts ($59.95-$94.95)
- Limited release belts ($99.95-$124.95)
Polyurethane and basic leather belts are more affordable. Rare release collaborations and unique materials make up the higher-priced options.
Overall, you’re looking at a similar price range of $30 to $100+ for most standard belts from both companies. Unique designs can exceed $100. Leather is pricier than nylon or polyurethane.
Belt Care Tips
Caring for your SlideBelts or Mission Belts properly helps them last longer. Here are some belt care tips:
For nylon and polyurethane:
- Spot clean stains with damp cloth
- Use mild detergent if needed
- Air dry completely after cleaning
- Avoid excessive heat or soaking
- Clean with leather cleaner or mild soap and damp cloth
- Condition periodically with leather conditioner
- Allow leather to dry thoroughly after cleaning
- Avoid soaking leather
Proper cleaning when stains occur allows you to preserve your belt’s appearance and durability. Leather belts also need occasional conditioning to keep the material supple.
Which Should You Get?
So when choosing between SlideBelts and Mission Belts, which brand comes out on top? Here are some key considerations:
- Materials – If you want lightweight nylon, go with SlideBelts. For polyurethane, Mission Belts has you covered. Both have leather options for a sophisticated look.
- Buckle Styles – SlideBelts offers an industrial, rugged buckle aesthetic. Mission Belts provides more decorative, refined buckle designs.
- Comfort Fit – The adjustable closure systems from both brands allow you to customize the belt to your ideal fit.
- Price – You’ll get affordable prices of $30 to $100 for most standard belts from both SlideBelts and Mission Belts.
- Brand Story – SlideBelts emphasizes durability and versatility. Mission Belts focuses more on craftsmanship and style.
Also Read: Comparison of Nexbelt And Mission Belt.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Yes, Mission Belts is still in business. The company continues to sell their range of ratcheting belts through their online store and various retailers.
SlideBelts was founded by entrepreneur Michael Bucko. He came up with the idea for the ratcheting belt after being frustrated by traditional belts.
Mission Belts are manufactured in several locations to produce their various belt materials and components. The polyurethane belts are made in China. Some leathers come from Mexico. And the metal buckles are sourced from China, Mexico and the United States.
Wearing a Mission Belt is easy. Just insert the end of the belt into the buckle. Pull the belt through and ratchet the buckle tighter until you get a snug, comfortable fit. Mission Belts eliminate the need for belt holes so you can customize the size.
In the end, it comes down to your priorities. Do you want resilient nylon or refined leather? A rugged or stylized buckle? Prioritize comfort fit or aesthetic appeal? Consider which brand aligns best with your needs.
Both SlideBelts and Mission Belts make excellent ratcheting belts. You really can’t go wrong with either brand. Focus on the materials, designs, and features that appeal to your personal style.
With quality craftsmanship and custom fit, these innovative belts provide great alternatives to traditional leather belts with holes.