If you’re in the market for an oil filter, chances are you’ve come across the K&N SO-1017 and HP-1017 oil filters. With both filters boasting impressive performance and durability, it can be challenging to choose the right one for your vehicle. But fear not!
We’re here to help you make an informed decision by comparing these two popular oil filters head-to-head.
Before we dive into the nitty-gritty details, let’s take a brief look at what oil filters do and why they’re essential for your vehicle’s health.
A Brief Comparison Table
|Synthetic & Conventional Oil
|Anti-drain Back Valve
Key Differences Between K&N SO-1017 And HP-1017 Oil Filters
Now that we’ve explored the features of both the K&N SO-1017 and HP-1017 oil filters, it’s time to pit them against each other and determine which one is the better choice for your vehicle.
Let’s compare them based on some critical factors:
- Filtration Efficiency
Both the K&N SO-1017 and HP-1017 oil filters excel in capturing contaminants, boasting 99% filtration efficiency.
While their filtration media differ slightly, with the SO-1017 using a synthetic blend and the HP-1017 using pleated synthetic media, both filters provide excellent protection for your engine.
Verdict: It’s a tie! Both filters offer top-notch filtration efficiency, ensuring a clean and well-protected engine.
When it comes to compatibility, the HP-1017 has a slight edge over the SO-1017. While the SO-1017 is designed specifically for use with synthetic oil, the HP-1017 is compatible with both synthetic and conventional oils.
This versatility makes the HP-1017 suitable for a broader range of vehicles and driving conditions.
Verdict: The HP-1017 wins this round due to its compatibility with both synthetic and conventional oils.
Also Read: Comparing K&N HP-2011 With HP 2012 Oil Filter.
Both the K&N SO-1017 and HP-1017 oil filters feature heavy-duty construction, with robust canisters and welded, one-piece base plates for added strength.
This design ensures that both filters can withstand high pressures and extreme temperatures, providing reliable performance and protection for your engine.
Verdict: Another tie! Both filters boast impressive durability, ensuring a long-lasting and dependable oil filter for your vehicle.
While both the K&N SO-1017 and HP-1017 oil filters offer exceptional performance and durability, their price points can vary.
In general, the HP-1017 tends to be slightly more expensive due to its compatibility with both synthetic and conventional oils. However, prices may vary depending on where you purchase the filters.
Verdict: The K&N SO-1017 wins this round for being more budget-friendly, although the price difference may not be significant for some drivers.
Oil Filters: A Quick Overview
Oil filters play a crucial role in maintaining your vehicle’s performance and longevity. They clean the engine oil by trapping contaminants such as dirt, metal particles, and other debris, preventing them from circulating through the engine and causing damage.
A high-quality oil filter can significantly extend the life of your engine, making it essential to choose the right one.
Now that we have a basic understanding of oil filters let’s dive into the main event: our K&N SO-1017 vs. HP-1017 oil filter comparison.
K&N SO-1017 Oil Filter: Performance & Features
The K&N SO-1017 oil filter is a high-performance filter designed for use with synthetic oil. It boasts a heavy-duty construction, featuring a high-flow design that allows for more efficient oil flow through the filter.
This design helps improve engine performance by reducing the pressure drop across the filter, leading to better filtration and overall engine protection.
Some of the standout features of the K&N SO-1017 oil filter include:
- High-efficiency synthetic blend media: The K&N SO-1017 filter uses a synthetic blend media that can capture 99% of harmful contaminants. This high level of filtration ensures that your engine remains clean and protected.
- Durable construction: The K&N SO-1017 is built to last, with a robust, heavy-duty canister that can withstand high pressures and extreme temperatures. Additionally, it features a welded, one-piece base plate for added durability.
- Anti-drain back valve: This oil filter also features an anti-drain back valve that prevents oil from draining out of the filter when the engine is turned off. This ensures that there is always a consistent supply of oil when the engine starts, reducing wear and tear.
HP-1017 Oil Filter: Performance & Features
The HP-1017 oil filter is another high-quality option from K&N, designed specifically for high-performance vehicles.
This filter is compatible with both synthetic and conventional oils, making it a versatile choice for a variety of vehicles.
Some of the key features of the HP-1017 oil filter include:
- High-flow design: Like the SO-1017, the HP-1017 filter also features a high-flow design for efficient oil flow and improved engine performance.
- High-efficiency filtration media: The HP-1017 oil filter uses a pleated synthetic media that provides excellent filtration efficiency, capturing up to 99% of harmful contaminants.
- Robust construction: The HP-1017 is built to withstand the demands of high-performance engines, featuring a durable canister and a welded, one-piece base plate for added strength.
- Anti-drain back valve: Similar to the SO-1017, the HP-1017 oil filter also includes an anti-drain back valve for consistent oil supply when starting your engine.
After comparing the K&N SO-1017 and HP-1017 oil filters, it’s clear that both offer outstanding performance, filtration efficiency, and durability. The choice between the two ultimately comes down to your vehicle’s requirements and your preferences regarding oil type compatibility.
If you’re using synthetic oil and looking for a more budget-friendly option, the K&N SO-1017 oil filter is an excellent choice. However, if you want a versatile oil filter that works with both synthetic and conventional oils, the HP-1017 might be the better option for you.
Regardless of which oil filter you choose, you can trust that both the K&N SO-1017 and HP-1017 will provide exceptional protection and performance for your engine. So go ahead and make your pick—your engine will thank you!