Are you caught in the dilemma between the GLS 450 and X7? Well, buckle up!
We’re taking a joyride through the details of these two beasts to help you decide which luxury SUV suits you best.
A Brief Comparison Table
|Mercedes-Benz GLS 450
|3.0L inline-6 turbo
|3.0L inline-6, V8
|Fuel Economy (city/hwy)
|6 or 7
The Mercedes-Benz GLS 450: The Epitome of Luxury
With a robust 3.0-liter inline-6 turbo engine, the GLS 450 provides enough power to turn heads on the highway. Its mild-hybrid system adds efficiency and responsiveness, leaving you to enjoy the drive.
- Space and Comfort
The Mercedes-Benz GLS 450 doesn’t hold back on space. Its three rows can accommodate seven passengers comfortably. Want to carry your golf bags or even a small boat? The foldable seats make room for that too.
- High-Tech Features
The cutting-edge MBUX infotainment system in the GLS 450 allows you to control navigation, audio, and more with voice commands. Say “Hey Mercedes,” and the car listens!
The luxury comes at a price. The GLS 450 might stretch your budget more than its rivals, like the BMW X7.
Its massive size may pose challenges in tight parking spots or narrow city streets.
BMW X7: A True Driving Machine
The BMW X7’s base engine offers a thrilling drive. Opt for the V8, and you’re looking at an exhilarating experience.
BMW is synonymous with engineering excellence. The X7 showcases quality materials and finishes that radiate elegance.
Despite its size, the X7 handles like a dream, thanks to adaptive suspension and optional all-wheel steering.
While the iDrive system offers an array of features, it can feel somewhat complex for new users.
The X7’s third-row seating may feel a bit cramped for adults on longer rides.
Read More: About Naturally Aged Flooring
GLS 450 and X7: Finding the Right Fit
Choosing between the GLS 450 and X7 boils down to personal preference and specific needs. If a plush interior and high-tech features lure you, the GLS 450 might be your perfect match.
On the other hand, if you want superior handling with a touch of luxury, the X7 could be your dream car.
Key Differences Between the GLS 450 and X7: A Detailed Look
Though the GLS 450 and X7 share their spot in the luxury SUV segment, there are nuanced differences that set them apart. Let’s dive into the details.
- Engine: A 3.0-liter inline-6 turbo engine coupled with a mild hybrid system provides a blend of power and efficiency.
- Transmission: 9-speed automatic.
- Fuel Economy: It offers a reasonable fuel economy for a large SUV, with about 20 mpg in the city and 24 mpg on the highway.
- Engine: A variety of engine options, including the 3.0-liter inline-6 or a more powerful V8.
- Transmission: 8-speed automatic.
- Fuel Economy: Similar to the GLS 450, with around 19 mpg in the city and 24 mpg on the highway.
While both are competent performers, the X7’s V8 option gives it a more thrilling driving experience.
Interior Comfort and Space
- Seating Capacity: Comfortable seating for seven.
- Cargo Space: Generous cargo space, especially with rear seats folded.
- Infotainment: The MBUX system with touch, voice, and gesture control.
- Seating Capacity: Options for six or seven seats, depending on configuration.
- Cargo Space: Slightly less cargo space than the GLS 450.
- Infotainment: iDrive system with a slight learning curve.
The GLS 450 offers more intuitive infotainment controls and can feel more spacious.
Exterior Design and Build
- Appearance: Modern and sleek design with prominent Mercedes-Benz styling.
- Wheels: Options ranging from 19 to 23 inches.
- Appearance: Bold and aggressive looks with BMW’s iconic grille.
- Wheels: Options starting from 20 inches, giving a more substantial road presence.
The X7 is more likely to appeal to those looking for a bolder appearance, while the GLS 450 leans towards understated elegance.
Safety and Driver Assistance
- Safety Features: Extensive list including adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assist, and blind-spot monitoring.
- Warranty: Standard 4-year/50,000-mile warranty.
- Safety Features: Comprehensive safety features similar to the GLS 450, with additions like traffic jam assist.
- Warranty: Matching the GLS with a 4-year/50,000-mile warranty.
Both vehicles are strong on safety, but the X7’s traffic jam assist might tip the scales for daily commuters.
- Base Price: Starts slightly higher than the X7, reflecting its premium position.
- Base Price: More competitively priced with various trim levels offering different price points.
Those on a more restrictive budget might find the X7 more appealing, though both vehicles represent substantial investments.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
In Mercedes-Benz nomenclature, “G” refers to the Geländewagen, or off-road vehicle. It signifies the SUV category.
The GLS is considered the S-Class among SUVs, offering more advanced features and luxury compared to the standard GL.
Yes, the Lexus GX 460 is known for its smooth and comfortable ride, thanks to adaptive suspension technology.
The Lexus GX 460 shares its platform with the Toyota Land Cruiser Prado, benefiting from Toyota’s renowned reliability.
You can determine whether your car is a GLS or GL by checking the model badge, VIN, or owner’s manual. Dealer information may also help.
Yes, the GLS replaced the GL as a more refined and luxurious version, aligning itself with the Mercedes-Benz premium S-Class sedans.
The faceoff between the GLS 450 and X7 leaves us with two unique, luxurious, and robust options. By weighing the pros and cons and aligning them with your lifestyle, you can take the wheel of the perfect ride for you.
The GLS 450 and X7, though rivals in their segment, cater to slightly different preferences. If luxurious interiors and intuitive technology charm you, the GLS 450 might be your ride. If bold design and driving dynamics are your priority, the X7 stands ready. Analyzing the key differences and aligning them with your needs will lead you to the perfect driving companion. Whether it’s the GLS 450 or X7, the road awaits with an unmatched experience!
Drive, experience, and enjoy – because in the end, whether it’s the GLS 450 or X7, you’re in for an unforgettable journey.